16.3.05

a word on words

I just had a suprisingly stimulating conversation with two of my parents' friends, Rob and John, about Shakespeare, language and society. Which is odd because at first I hadn't thought either of them would be interested in such things. Rob was entertaining, he has a kind of enthusiasm that you do not encounter very often nowadays. He has trouble finding the right words sometimes though and he speaks so quietly that it's hard for me to understand what he's saying, let alone help him. John on the other hand was suprisingly well read, and it would not seem so from the looks of him, he had some very interesting opinions on Shakespeare and the language of today and how they differ. He was very easy to talk to, he's one of those people who knows how to reciprocate. I wonder sometimes how my parents can be friends with such intelligent people, my mother is smart, yes, but hardly ever delivers worthwhile conversation. I suppose people can't be so intense all the time, that's why I have Rene'e. Not that we don't talk about serious topics, when we do the conversations are always stimulating, but things are always more superficial with Rene'e and I do tire of the superficial so easily. It's just good to have someone to talk to though.

John suggested doing an essay on the de-evolution of words, I think that would be a very interesting topic to write about. I'll have to think about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home